1 winning all or all but one of the tricks in bridge [syn: sweep]
2 the noise made by the forcefaul impact of two objects
3 a forceful impact that makes a loud noise
4 an aggressive remark directed at a person like a missile and intended to have a telling effect; "his parting shot was `drop dead'"; "she threw shafts of sarcasm"; "she takes a dig at me every chance she gets" [syn: shot, shaft, dig, barb, jibe, gibe]
1 close violently; "He slammed the door shut" [syn: bang]
2 strike violently; "slam the ball" [syn: bang]
- Rhymes: -æm
- An act of slamming.
- The shock and noise produced by slamming.
- A slam dunk.
- A bid of six (small slam) or seven (grand slam) in a suit or no trump.
- An insult.
- I don't mean this as a slam, but you can be really impatient sometimes.
- The refuse of alum works.
- countable prison A meal where ingredients are shared by three or more people to create dinner.
The shock and noise produced by slamming
A slam dunk
A bid of six (small slam) or seven (grand slam) in a suit or no trump
- Finnish: loukkaus
The refuse of alum works
- transitive ergative
To shut with sudden force so as to produce a shock and noise.
- Don't slam the door!
- transitive ergative
To put in or on a particular place with force and loud noise.
(Often followed by a preposition such as down, against or into.)
- Don't slam that trunk down on the pavement!
- To strike forcefully with some implement.
- transitive card games To defeat by winning all the tricks of a deal or a hand.
- transitive colloquial To speak badly of.
- Don't ever slam me in front of the boss like that again!''
- To dunk forcefully.
- intransitive bridge To make a slam bid.
- transitive US to, without clear (if any) consent, change telephone carriers on a customer
To shut with sudden force so as to produce a shock and noise
To put in or on a particular place with force and loud noise
- Finnish: läimäyttää
To defeat by winning all the tricks of a deal or a hand
To speak badly of
To dunk forcefully
Slam as a word has several possible meanings :
- short term for poetry slam
- short term for slam dunk in basketball
- a grappling move in wrestling, such as a suplex, wherein a participant lifts and throws his opponent to the mat
- bidding and winning all (or all but one) trick in the card game bridge - known as Grand Slam and Small (or 'Little') Slam respectively.
- the card game spit, also known as slam
Slam as a name may refer to:
- SLAM, a hip hop act hailing from Alberta, Canada. http://www.myspace.com/slamhiphop
- SLAM Magazine, a basketball publication
- Slam (film), a 1998 film
- Slam (band), a techno and house music act
- the sports section of a major Canadian Online Portal, http://slam.canoe.ca which is part of Canadian Online Explorer
- Slam, the only album by Birmingham punk quartet Suburban Studs
- the SLAM Project, a Microsoft Research project intended to verify some software properties using model checking techniques
- Slam (book), a novel by Walter Dean Myers about a high school basketball star from Harlem
- Slam (Shiner novel), a novel by Lewis Shiner
- Slam, a novel by Nick Hornby
- Slam (song), a 1993 single by rap group Onyx from their album Bacdafucup
SLAM as an acronym has several possible meanings:
- Signaling Lymphocytic Activation Molecule, a family of cell receptors that can be used to identify Hematopoietic Stem Cells
- Simultaneous localization and mapping, a concept in robotic and autonomous navigation
- South London and Maudsley NHS Trust, a group of hospitals
- the Supersonic Low Altitude Missile, designed and developed at the Lawrence Radiation Laboratory between 1955 and 1964
- the U.S. Navy's Standoff Land Attack Missile, a modern cruise missile system
- the Selectable Light-weight Attack Munition, an explosive charge that is used by U.S. Special Forces
- Students Living a Mission, a mission organization for teens
- Society's League Against Molestation, an organization against child abuse
- Shareholder Limited Authorized Margin, an economical concept aiming at the reduction of shareholders' profits
- Simulation Language for Analogue Modelling (SLAM), a simulation language based on Fortran designed for modeling continuous systems
- Simulation Language for Alternative Modeling (SLAM), a simulation language based on GASP designed for both discrete and continuous systems.
- SubLight Acceleration Motor, a fictional propulsion device in the computer game TIE Fighter
slam in German: Slam (Begriffsklärung)
slam in French: Slam
slam in Turkish: Slam
Parthian shot, adverse criticism, altogether, animadversion, aspersion, attack, back answer, bad notices, bad press, bang, bang into, bar, barrack, barricade, bash, bastinado, bat, batten, batten down, batter, beat, beating, belt, biff, blast, blow, bolt, bonk, boom, bump, bump into, burst, bust, button, button up, cannon, captiousness, carom, carom into, carping, castigate, caustic remark, cavil, caviling, censoriousness, chaff, choke, choke off, chop, clap, clash, clear, clip, clobber, close, close up, clout, clump, coldcock, collide, come into collision, comeback, completely, concuss, confront each other, constrict, contain, contract, cover, crack, crack up, crash, crash into, criticism, criticize, crump, crunch, cudgel, cut, cut at, cutting remark, dash, dash into, deal, deal a blow, deck, denigrate, denounce, dig, dig at, ding, dint, disparage, drub, drubbing, drumming, dump, dump on, encounter, entirely, exception, fall foul of, fasten, faultfinding, fetch, fetch a blow, flak, flap, flay, fleer, fling, flop, flout, fold, fold up, foolery, foul, fully, fusillade, gibe, gibing retort, goal, grand slam, hairsplitting, hammer, hit, hit a clip, hit against, hole, hole in one, home run, home thrust, homer, hostile criticism, hurt, hurtle, hypercriticalness, hypercriticism, impinge, imputation, jab, jab at, jape, jeer, jest, key, knock, knock against, knock cold, knock down, knock out, latch, leg-pull, let have it, lick, lock, lock out, lock up, mace, meet, mock, nagging, niggle, niggling, nit, nit-picking, obloquy, occlude, overcriticalness, padlock, pan, parting shot, paste, pelt, percuss, pestering, pettifogging, pillory, plumb, plunk, poke, pooh, pooh-pooh, potshot, pounce on, pounce upon, pound, priggishness, punch, put down, put-down, put-on, quibble, quibbling, quip, quite, rail at, rally, ram, rank out, rap, reflection, report, reproachfulness, revile, right, rude reproach, run down, run into, scathe, scoff, score, scourge, scout, scurrility, seal, seal off, seal up, secure, shoot down, short answer, shut, shut the door, shut up, sideswipe, slam into, slap, slap at, slash, slat, slate, slog, slug, slur, smack, smack into, smash, smash into, smash up, smite, snap, sneer, sneer at, snipe at, soak, sock, splat, squeeze shut, strangle, stricture, strike, strike against, strike at, stroke, swap, swat, swing, swipe, taking exception, tap, tattoo, taunt, thump, thwack, touchdown, trichoschistism, twit, verbal thrust, vilify, wallop, whack, wham, whap, whomp, whop, yerk, zip up, zipper